More information has come out from Microsoft this week around Office 365 for Education. As mentioned in a previous post we only had limited information but during the past week Microsoft had a presentation day for Higher Education establishments which included a presentation on live@edu and Office 365 for Education.
The slides from the presentation can be downloaded here.
What made me laugh..
If this is live@edu…
this is what Office 365 for Education will be…
Differences between live@edu and Office 365 for Education
In previous posts we discussed what’s coming in new and the differences to the current live@edu. Here is a better view from the presentation.
Meeting Student and Educator Needs
- Works seamlessly with Microsoft Office programs that users already count on and teaches students new software skills that will help them prepare for the future
- Provide sites for students and educators to work together in real time on assignments, group projects, and research – both inside and outside your institution
- Communicate seamlessly from email to instant messaging to online classrooms, including audio, video and screen sharing
- Helps students and educators become more productive with a 25GB mailbox that unifies email and voicemail (Unified Messaging)
- Makes scheduling easier by showing who and what resources are available, such as projectors or meeting rooms
- Allow users to see whether other students or educators are online
Learning from Anywhere
- Provide users anywhere-access to their email, assignments and calendar on nearly any device*
- Works with devices that students and educators use most — including PC, Mac, Windows Phone, iPhone, Android and BlackBerry
- Rich experience with Outlook Web App on a broad set of browsers or offline access via Office desktop applications on PCs and Macs
- View and edit assignments with Office Web Apps across a broad range of browsers (Internet Explorer, Firefox, Safari, and Chrome)
- Connect securely over Internet with HTTPS without the need for VPN.
- Reduce the time and effort spent managing email and collaboration servers, such as patch upgrades and security updates, while still keeping you in control
- 24/7, IT professional phone support or via electronic ticketing
- Hybrid deployment scenarios allow on-premises and online users to work together seamlessly
- Simplified management with a single administration centre with role based access
- Ease of interoperability with existing systems, such as SunGuard and Blackboard, through extensible platform.
Enterprise Security, Reliability and Privacy
- Same 99.9% uptime commitment, backed by a SLA, as Office 365 for enterprises
- Helps protect your email environment with premium anti-spam and antivirus protection provided by multiple virus scanning engines
- Helps customers comply with ISO 27001, SAS 70 Type I, FERPA, HIPAA, FISMA, EU Safe Harbour Seal
- Configure services to meet your institution’s unique needs and give your users access to only the services they need
3 thoughts on “More information on Office 365 for Education”
Any idea when Office 365 will be rolled out to Education. I am currently trialing Live@Edu and plan to migrate all students and staff for the start of the 2011 school year….
Thanks for the comment but I don’t know any details around when it will be launched. I will publish something on the blog when I know more.