So last week I was at the first European SharePoint Best Practise Conference in London. I made a few notes while I was there so I thought it was defiantly worth a post for you all.
- Have the ratio of 5 Web Front Ends per 1 SQL Server
- If you have user who use SharePoint – page hopping for more than 20 minutes at a time – you need to look at Kerberos authentication
- 1 Domain Controller per 3 Web Front Ends – ensure they are in the same subnet mask as well
- No more than 10 Web Applications per Farm
- A good quota for uploading documents 50MB.
- User RAID 10 for SQL Server – but yes it is expensive
- Pre-grow your SQL data file to the maximum size you want it
- Content DB size limitation – 100GB
- 64bit – in case you hadn't heard – the next version of SharePoint is 64bit only
- If you are patching your server – disconnect your ContentDB as it will save time on the patching. Almost save 3/4 of the time
- defrag your ContentDBs
- Ensure your farm is on at least Infrastructure update
- No CNames
Of course this isn't all my notes – you would have to turn up to the next conference to get all those 😉
I was delighted to see so many people turn up to Andrew Woodward and mine session on SharePoint in Education – I reckon we had just over 100 in the room during the lunch time session. Thanks to everyone who turned up and hopefully we will have more time for questions next time